Biomedical Technician (Phlebotomist) 1
Location: Johnson City
Posted on: July 8, 2019
Grifols is a global healthcare company whose mission is to improve
the health and well being of people. Our three divisions
Bioscience, Diagnostic and Hospitaldevelop, produce and market our
innovative products and services to medical professionals in more
than 100 countries.
We are committed to fostering an environment that creates
continuous learning opportunities and encourages professional
development and growth. As a company devoted to improving the
health and well-being of people, we are looking for talented
professionals worldwide. Make a difference and join us in this
challenging and rewarding enterprise.
Duties and responsibilities
- Primary Functions and Duties (actual tasks performed based on
task-specific training identified on Job Training Requirements
- At all times follow Standard Operating Procedures, and
responsible for remaining current regarding SOP changes.
- Identify and screen donors by reviewing medical records and
logs and evaluate the donor as to suitability. Screening includes
asking health related questions and referring to medical staff when
necessary; taking vital signs (blood pressure, pulse and
temperature), performing fingerstick (HCT & Total Protein), and
reviewing results using the applicable donor management system
Maintain donor confidentialityat all times in all areas.
- Provide a positive customer experience by providing health
information as per standard operating procedure (SOPs) or as
directed by the center Medical staff , explaining fees schedules
and bonus programs, instruct donors regarding the importance of
plasma donation and explains the uses of the products made from
donated plasma.Explains the donation process, the tests performed,
fees, center rules, proper nutrition, and any other information
pertinent to the donor.Assures that the donor's questions are
answered. Explains and maintains appointment records for
donors.Answers the telephone, relays calls and takes
messages.Listens to & answers voicemails from customers.Contacts
donors for follow-up & recrutiment.
- Responsible for use of computer systems for donor and plasma
unit management. (e.g. DMS, eQue, or Next Gen).
- Responsible for preparing donors for plasmapheresis
procedure.Review donor record files for accuracy and
completeness.Collect plasma by setting up the autopheresis
instrument, performing the venipuncture and utilizing an Automated
- Evaluate vein performance by checking data with known norms to
identify possible problems; make corrections in order to expedite
donation time and ensure product quality. Conducts all phlebotomies
in compliance with all federal, state, and Biotest
- Draw samples utilizing a sterile technique with proper use of
PPE & equipment to assure the sterility and quality of units.
Accurate data entry of product and donor information into the
applicavble donor management system Responsible for sending sample
- Properly record & analyze units & samples in preparation for
- Record all pertinent information in donor record file or
electronically and various logbooks, donor management systems,
according to SOPs, maintaining 100% accuracy.Strong attention to
- Take plasma units to the freezer timely as determined per SOP
to assure preservation of plasma proteins
- Maintain clean and efficient working environment including
production areas, storage areas, Biohazard area,&inactive
records storage area. Maintains sufficient operating supplies &
stocking supplies in production areas.Maintain proper
storage,maintenance & cleaning of equipment and supplies used in
the production areas.Informs supervisor of need for equipment
- Maintains logs &/or records applicable todonor fee payments
as directed by Plasma Center Operations Manager.Responsible for
maintaining the security of donor fee funds per Center
- Be alert at all times to possible reactions by customers and be
prepared to take action to treat reactions as trained & permitted
by center policy.Assist physician or phys sub with treatment of
- Maintain confidentiality with respect to personnel, donor, and
center records reviewed during the course of all duties.
- Responsible forthe proper use of personal protective equipment
- Maintains initial, annual, & revision training requirements per
Biotest Task Matrix.
- Provides assistance in other areas of the Plasma
- Support functions such as making boxes, labels, cleaning up the
storage area and other public and private areas.
- May perform immunizations under the direction of the attending
physician in accordance with state law and training.
- Additional responsibilities may also be assigned by the
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Proficiency in the use of English and mathematics.
- Course work in the medical field desirable.
- Six months to one year of medical assistant or phlebotomy
training at a vocational or technical school preferred.
- Prefer some college experience in biology, anatomy,
- Three months medical assistant/receptionist, or phlebotomy
experience, medical training at a vocational school or equivalent
- CPR training is useful.Prefer some work experience in dealing
with the public.
- Experience in Customer Service.
Other Essential Knowledge:
- Ability to work with a wide variety of personalities, provide
friendly customer service. Ability to work in a fast-paced
enviroment with efficiency & accuracy. Customer service orientation
includes the ability to instruct and persuade donors regarding
plasma donation & communciate professioanlly with all donors.Well
organized. Able to follow oral and written directions in exact
detail.Proficient record keeping ability and legible handwriting.
Good reading skills; manual and hand-eye dexterity; able to work in
a fast paced environment involving multiple details; flexibility in
accepting changes in work environmentor schedule as demanded by
production & donor flow; able to work with figures, print or write
neatly and legibly, record numbers. Superior interpersonal skills;
must be able to interface calmly and efficiently with diverse
personalities and be able to maintain a pleasant and professional
attitude at all times.Must be a team player and able to work well
- Knowledge of medical terminology, aseptic technique,
paramedical principles, methods and procedures desirable. May also
utilize office equipment, freezer, hand held tubing stripper,
centrifuge, computer terminal. Knowledge of basic computer
applications; such as Excel, Word is preferred or ability to obtain
computer experience within six months. Data entry and/or light
typing.Uses basic mathematics.
- Ability to read complex regulations, remember details, and
record data accurately in charts, records and DMS / Next Gen,
calculate fees, compare vital signs, test results.Instrumentation
used includes Vital Signs Monitor, weight scale, refractometer,
hematocrit centrifuge, micro-tubes, and reagents, which all must be
utilized very accurately.Some office equipment used, such as
telephone, photocopy machine, computer and calculator.
- Responsible for the care and safety of the donor during the
plasmapheresis process and able to focus quickly on multiple
tasks..In the performance of this job, duties include the
observation of sterile technique, quality phlebotomy skills,
obtaining accurate product volumes, corrective actions, trouble
shooting machine error messages, treatment of donor reactions as
they occur, health teaching, accurate & concurrent charting and
record-keeping (paper or digital), and control of supplies used,
plasma/serum extraction; labeling and grouping product units;
weighing and recording plasma, and whole blood volumes; obtaining
laboratory test samples as required; packing and segregation of
final products; accurately monitoring and recording temperatures
and any variances for freezers and refrigerators; and calibration
and maintenance of all equipment used in processing
- May require state certification as a phlebotomist (depending on
state regulations).Able to read complex regulations and remember
details.Able to focus quickly on many different tasks.Must be able
to keep charts, logs, & electronic files in an extremely accurate
fashion, recording information and data.Verbal ability to explain
programs and answer customer questions.Ability to perform
venipuncture.Equipment utilized during plasmapheresis or unit
processing may include, automated pheresis equipment, hand held
tubing stripper (WR Note: strippers not used during
plasmapheresis-only in processing area), and hemostats.
- Internal:Plasma Center staff, occasional contact with Biotest
management staff in order to provide information.
- External: Customers to provide information and persuade, and
various regulatory inspectors to provide information.
- Under indirect supervision.
- Decisions made are almost always determined by specific
instructions or existing policies and procedures.
- Hazards: Exposure to various odors (chemical, body), noise from
customer floor especially during peak times.Exposure to cold
temperatures.Exposed to human source products and various chemicals
- Stressors:High volume and fast pace.Interruptions by customers
or co-workers for assistance.Sometimes working
short-staffed.Responsible for the welfare of customers and
continuous monitoring of equipment and procedures.
- Physical Demands:Physical.Standing and walking 90 - 100% of the
time.Must be able to reach, grasp, twist and turn, with high level
of manual dexterity.Must be able to see and speak with customers
and observe equipment operation.Ability to kneel, crouch, and crawl
when working with equipment, files, and cleaning procedures.Able to
lift and carry 25 or more lbs. on occasions.
- Before and after hours work will be required approximately 12
times per year to attend monthly staff meetings, or more if
training, scheduling and paperwork needs to be attended to.
Location: NORTH AMERICA : USA : TN-Johnson City
Learn more about Grifols
Keywords: Grifols, Johnson City , Biomedical Technician (Phlebotomist) 1, Professions , Johnson City, Tennessee
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!